Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Undefined UFOlogy

Over the past three years, I have to admit, I have become addicted to the field of UFOlogy.  I have never witnessed a "strange light" in the sky or experienced a chance alien encounter, but the subject, I find, is most interesting.

I recall years ago in elementary school checking out books at the school library regarding Yeti, Atlantis, ghosts, and of course, UFOs.  I seem to recall quite a few Brad Steiger books that I always seemed to have around my parent's house.  Slowly the interest blended into the X-Files, then a bit into school with parapsychology, and then it was lost while in my later college years and during the first few years of my professional career.  More or less, I thought, "I've grown up".  How wrong I was.

I remember not putting much stock into the "weird events" when I was young; aliens were ET and that was that.  A few years ago I randomly chanced upon a few podcasts and was introduced to things like the Skinwalker Ranch, the Mothman of West Virginia, and my local favorite, the Beast of Bray Road.  The witness accounts were so much more vibrant and profound than the books I had read on Roswell, UFO crashes, and government coverups.  Suddenly, books like Keel's Operation Trojan House, Vallee's Magonia, even Redfern's Final Events made much more sense.  In the grand scheme of things, who doesn't like the idea of an eccentric NASA rocket scientist opening a portal to another land filled with occult energized UFOs?  The ideas presented by these authors resonated to me; why do UFOs have to be extraterrestrial in nature?  Why can't UFOS be be terrestrial in nature?  Why do I even care?

My interest has only grown over the past few years.  As far as I can tell, the enigma is no further resolved than it was in the middle ages with fairies, with the airships of the 1890's, or even with current technological sightings continuously reported around the world.  Personally, I believe the answer lies somewhere in the works of Vallee and Keel; I plan to purchase books in the near future by other "ultraterrestrial" theorists such as Constable and Layne.   Unlike so many others, I don't foresee my ability to witness these events in the   coming future.  As Dr. Barry Taff once theorized in his book, paranormal events like these are often played out to the observer much like a record needle creates sounds from a record grove.  I don't quite know what that means, but on an intuitive level, that statement makes quite a bit sense. I don't believe I have that needle; yet in the end, needle or not, the phenomenon most certainly and without a doubt, exits.




No comments:

Post a Comment